Register to Vote

Who may register to vote

  • You must be a citizen of the United States.

  • Must be 18 years of age by Election Day; 17 years of age to vote in a General Primary if individual will be 18 as of the following General Election.

  • You must reside in your precinct for at least 30 days prior to an election

  • You must not be incarcerated as a result of a felony conviction 

  • You cannot claim to vote anywhere else.

What is required before you can register to Vote?

  1. Two forms of identification with at least one showing your current residence address when registering in person.

  2. Submission of your IL State ID number (Driver's License or ID card) if you are registering by mail. If you do not have a State ID, submission of the last four digits of your social security number may be used.

Acceptable Forms of Identification (ID)

How can you register to vote?

  • Register in Person- Go to the County Clerk's Office located at 507 Vermont St Monday through Friday 8:30AM-4:30PM.

  • Register Online - register online through the Illinois State Board of Elections.

  • Register by Mail - download the Voter Registration Application. Please provide either your State ID number or the last four digits of your social security number on this form before sending it back to our office. Mail the form to Voter Registration, 507 Vermont St, Quincy, IL 62301

Note: Registrations are not accepted during the 27-day period prior to an election and two days after such election.

How often must you re-register?

  • If you change your name

  • If you move to a different county

What should you do if your address changes?

  • If you have moved from one address in Adams County to another address in Adams County, you must notify the Adams County Clerk’s Office by either:

    • Stopping by the office and completing the address change form.

    • Download the change of address form After completing, mail to Voter Registration at 507 Vermont St, Quincy, IL 62301.

    • Submitting a plain piece of paper stating your name, date of birth, old address, and new address. We must also have your signature. Including your phone number with your request is also recommended in case there are any questions from our office.

  • If you move to another county other than Adams, you must contact that county’s voter registration department. Please notify the County Clerk's office if you've moved outside of the county by completing and submitting the Cancellation Form

Illinois State Board of Elections Website